Wednesday 20 August 2014

"The Prestige" and the Cinematic Pub I'd Most Like to Drink In

Whenever I watch "The Prestige", Christopher "Inception" Nolan's superlative and apparently under-rated (not by me) movie about rival magicians in the late 19th century, one of the many thoughts I have rattling around my head is this;

"God I'd so love to drink in that pub! It looks amazing."

David Bowie as Nikola Tesla, and Hugh Jackman as The Great Danton
"The Prestige" features many pubs; stews of East London, champagne dens of the West End, but one reigns supreme in my eyes. It is featured in two scenes where Hugh Jackman's Danton character meets up with his fixer played by Michael Caine, and it beyond irritates me that I can't find any stills featuring it.

A lot of people, I surmise with no actual evidence whatsoever, probably like the idea of drinking in wild, decadent cat house bars, like those ones featured in Westerns, or going further back in history the pig shitted riot of Tortuga's brothel in "Pirates of the Caribbean." But really, would you really want to drink in that place in reality. All the brawling, gunfights when you are trying to read a good book, and lice ridden clientele?

No, you really want to visit a bar like that featured in the two scenes I mentioned, a beautifully elegant establishment with a high glass ceiling  -giving an orangery feel - lots of refreshing plants, and glass racks tended to by smart gentlemen in bowler hats before high quality ale is served forth to richly whiskered patrons. Sadly, it's a set constructed in the entrance atrium of a modern building, I believe, and doesn't exist in reality.

Because I would so want to drink there. It so looks like my kind of pub.

Copyright Bloody Mulberry 20.08.14

No comments:

Post a Comment